History of Altro Coro
Gnesins’ Ensemble of contemporary choral music «Altro coro» was founded in September 2010 in the Gnesins' Russian Academy of Music. It was made up of students and alumni of the Choral Department interested in the choral works composed in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. The task of the ensemble is to discover and disseminate the choral works that were unknown in Russia before. The first concert took place on December 17, 2010 in the Concert Hall of the Gnesins' Academy.
Some notable events in ensemble's history:
– the Russian premiere of «Scardaneli-Zyklus» by Heinz Holliger (in cooperation with the Studio for New Music under Igor Dronov as conductor) in January 2012
– participation in the gala opening ceremony of the English sculptor Henry Moore's exhibition in Moscow Kremlin (there were performed John Tavener sacred and secular choral works) in March 2012.
– concert tour in Switzerland (concerts in Basel, Zürich, Bern) within the Russian-Swiss project «Culturescаpes – 2012» organized by Russian Emperor's Musical Society (president
N. Yefimova, vice-president O. Levko) in October 2012.
– participation in the premiere performance of the Alfred Schnittke Fourth Symphony's second edition (in cooperation with the Studio for New Music ensemble) in June 2013
– concert tour in Switzerland within the joint project of Russian Emperor's Musical Society (president N. Yefimova, vice-president O. Levko), Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Russian Culture Ministry dedicated to 200th anniversary of Diplomatic Relations between Russia and Switzerland in October 2014
– concert tour in China in May 2018
Awards in Competitions:
– Gold Diploma and title of winner in «Chamber Choirs» nomination of International Contemporary Choir Music Festival «Canti veris Praga» (Czech Republic, 2012)
– VI Level Gold Diploma of the IV International Anton Bruckner Choir Competition (Austria, 2013)
– Grand Prix of the International Contemporary Choir Music Festival «Canti veris Praga» (Czech Republic, 2014)
– Grand Prix of the XXIX International Schubert Choir Competition (Austria, 2014)
– V Level Gold Diploma, title of winner in «Chamber Choirs» nomination and Jury Special Prize of the IX International Brahms Choir Competition (Germany, 2015)
– Title of Champion in «Chamber Choirs» nomination of the IX World Choir Games (Russia, 2016)
– Grand Prix in «Chamber Choirs» nomination and Grand Prix in «Contemporary Music» nomination of the International Champions Competition «Grand Prix of Nations» (Germany, 2017)
– Gold Medal in «Chamber Choirs» nomination and Gold Medal in «Contemporary Music» nomination of the X World Choir Games (South Africa, 2018)
– Grand Prix in «Musica Sacra» nomination of the of the International Champions Competition «Grand Prix of Nations» (Sweden, 2019)